Thursday, September 12, 2013

Unraveling Our Humanity

Dear assistant,

There are two things I want you and the rest of the world to remember about me. The first is that I have grand goals. You know better than anyone walking the Earth of my dreams and all the things I want to do with Creation. And I share them with you because few people understand the technical nature of this amazing work we do.

Today, as I sit in a room with the windows thrown open (thank you for that gift), I have strings of silk-like Creation illuminating me as I write, and my mind is on the mistakes we make as human beings. And, to be completely honest, I'm afraid. Now that you're gone, I have nobody I feel comfortable making errors around. It took me three weeks to come to this realization, but now that I am alone, I am afraid to be human.

It is fascinating to me, having come to this big city, to see so many people who are human, but don't realize it. I watched a young boy chase a duck for ten minutes in an open field yesterday, and I wished you could could be there, because the humanity of it was missed by everyone, including the boy's grandmother. He had this goal of grabbing that duck by the tail feathers, yet never quite made it.

Isn't that our existence? Running after the ducks, but never catching them? Sometimes, I suppose, we get lucky and we accomplish something. In my search for one who can comprehend me and my projects in Creation, I found you...whether that was luck or something more can be debated, but it is one of the times in my life as a tailor that I can say I succeeded.

A question ran through my head as I silently enjoyed this boy's endeavor -- what was he going to do when he had the duck in arms?

I'm still trying to figure that out. I'm chasing after my own ducks, and I've managed to catch a few. But I'm still trying to figure out what comes next. You know me...always looking ahead, even if I'm not exactly certain on the present. And I'll admit, in my humanity, I need help knowing what to do.

~The Tailor


1 comment:

  1. "I need help knowing what to do" #STOLEN
    You're whole post was profound and frankly awesome. The best by far was how you ended it making me think and act smarter than I really am haha. Sometimes I don't realize this simple phrase and I seek help from myself but I really need help because I don't always know what to do or where to go. Thanks for helping me realize sometimes you can't catch those ducks on your own! I searched up some synonyms of good because such a simple word couldn't portray how much I liked this. I picked some that I liked... Boss, favorable, tip-top, rad, spanking, up to snuff, super-excellent. Good day and gewd job!

    ReplyDelete